Like the rest of the world, Building Better People Productions had to make adjustments in the wake of COVID-19, and many of these adjustments came in our classes! Since we could no longer meet in person, we brought all of our classes online, and here is some of the fun stuff we did!
Our Friday classes for homeschoolers, which had been held at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts in Annapolis, used the power of the internet to keep our students entertained.
- The amazing Becky Larion, the teacher for our Theater Adventures class for 4-7 year olds, made videos of her lessons to be share with her class, so that they could enjoy the fun on their own schedules!
- Our Play Production Class for 7-11 year olds, taught by Lynne Childress and Ashley Milligan, performed The Reluctant Dragon, written by Kathleen Schultz Miller, published by ArtReach Children’s Plays.
- Our Play Production Class for 12-17 year olds, taught by Eli Pendry, performed The Imaginary Friends Detective Agency by Trevor Suthers, found on Drama Notebook, a wonderful collection of plays for kids and teens
Building Better Artists, our audition-only acting troupe for teens, planned to perform Macbeth this spring, and shifted to reading through several different Shakespeare plays on Zoom.
Our after school drama club at Monarch Academy-Annapolis also took our shows online!
- Our k-2 Drama Club, taught by Becky Larion and Matthew Lucente, performed Dog, Cat, and the Red Bird by Shaneisha Dodson and The Banyan Tree and the Little Grass by Sashi Mendis, both found on Drama Notebook.
- Our 3-5 Drama Club, taught by Lynne Childress, performed a wonderful version of The Wizard of Oz written by Clare Lopez.
In April, we decided to offer the first of our purely online classes, and it was an amazing chance to teach kids from different places, including kids from around Maryland, Florida, Texas, Connecticut, North Carolina, and Toronto.
- Matthew Lucente brought us The Online Actors Studio, a curriculum that he developed for young actors and taught for Building Better People Productions for 8-11 year olds and 12-17 year olds, for 2 sessions this spring and early summer.
- We offered Theater Adventures, a creative drama class for 7-4 year olds, online on both Monday mornings with Melani Finney and Wednesday afternoons with Jenifer Ridgway
This is what I have so far! We will talk about it more this afternoon.